On Friday my friends and awesome game artists Luis Antonio and John Cimino playtested. They were only supposed to play 4 or 6 games, but kept playing for an hour, which is a good sign. Of course, I took a bunch of notes, so here are the tasks from that:
- don’t get that click on guy selects during cast characters
- mouse overrides cursor keys in menus if over item…don’t override if key change but no mouse change
- have box with ? on side for casting characters – progress status and neat
- why is volume not working on last 30 seconds timer on sniper machine?
- sniper review tells on waiting screens
- chooser through animations playing on loop!
- require sniper okay to continue
- detailed stats stay on mouseover and off…good?
- mode on chooser that says if mouse moves off, and not keyboard select, then help goes away?
- ambassador was doing tapdance again…is it always the ambassador? I think so…!2
- microfilm get animation is same as put, so you get it out of your pocket, which makes no sense
I need to consolidate the recent punch lists so you folks can see what I’m working on. I occasionally check items off the older lists in the older posts, which is kind of silly. Sadly, the tasks on this list aren’t going to get checked off for a while due to the conference this week.
The best anecdote from the playtest was when John shot Luis and then said, “I lowlighted all of the men at the start because you’ve only ever picked women as the Spy.” Luis realized his meta-mistake, and had to consciously start randomizing his character choices more. That is exactly the kind of know-your-opponent yomi gameplay I want to encourage!
If you notice the laptop to the left in the picture below, John is actually chatting with us using Google Talk. Luis and John didn’t notice because they haven’t played that much yet and I didn’t want to point it out, but I could clearly hear the Spy’s mouse clicks through the connection, and they are huge tells, so I’m going to have to figure out what to do about that before I enable voice chat as a feature.
All the auto-update, crash dump, and login stuff seems to be working really well, so I’m super happy about that.
Now, back to my talks!
- The interview with Notch is supposed to be live-streamed on Gamespot, no link as of yet. [↩]
- I’ve been seeing this rare bug where one of the characters would slide across the floor, jittering. I noticed it again during this playtest and realized I always see it on the Ambassador, which is a huge help in debugging it! [↩]