Archive for the ‘programming’ Category.

Release notes v0.1.2758.0 – lobby stuff, mostly

I just realized that since I finally opened the beta, I can now post the release notes for the new builds here publicly without getting a torrent of “Send me an invite!” blog and facebook comments and tweets! Yay, I am so happy to be out of the invites business! I’ll do a post with numbers from […]

Loadtesting for Open Beta, Part 4: Done optimizing the lobbyserver!

Check out Loadtesting for Open Beta, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 to read the previous installments of this epic tale! It’s been a while since the last update in this series, sorry about that!  At the end of Part 3, I mentioned the SimCity launch giving me pause about my goal of testing […]

Loadtesting for Open Beta, Part 3

Read Loadtesting for Open Beta, Part 1 and Part 2 to catch up on the spine-tingling story so far! When we last left our hero, our differential state update change was a resounding success and reduced the network bandwidth utilization from 98% to 3%, and it looked like we could move on to optimizing the […]

Loadtesting for Open Beta, Part 2

In our last exciting episode of Loadtesting for Open Beta, we did some initial profiling to see how the lobbyserver held up under attack by a phalanx of loadtesting robots spawned in the cloud. It didn’t hold up, obviously, or the beta would already be open. Specifically, it failed by saturating the server’s 100Mbps network […]

Loadtesting for Open Beta, Part 1

Way back in 2011, right before I opened up Early-Access Beta signups, I loadtested and optimized the signup page to make sure it wouldn’t crash if lots of people were trying to submit their name and email and confirm their signup. I always intended to write up a technical post or two about that optimization […]